Monday, June 29, 2009

Snakes

Tonight I pulled into the driveway to see Lincoln, Kayla, Hannah and Jake all gathered around the stairs leading from our "garage" to the "breezeway".* Apparently there is a lovely little collection of snakes living down there. Yes, snakes....with an s. More than one. More than two I believe. Thanks to the Internet we identified them as a milk snake and a couple of ringneck snakes. And Hannah informed me that a garter snake went up our drain pipe the other day when she almost ran it over with her bike. We have lived here for over 7 years now and I think these are the first snakes I've ever seen. I've seen mice. I've seen frogs. I've seen toads. I have never yet seen a snake but I guess we're getting six years worth of them in one week. And while I would take snakes over frogs any day of the week, I'm not really digging it. Hopefully now that Lincoln cleared out their habitat they'll head out of our yard but I'm not really counting on it.

Sometimes I really hate living in the woods.

*I use the terms garage and breezeway in the loosest way possible since we poured the foundation walls for both when we moved into the house in 2002 but never put in floors, walls, or a roof. So while we technically park in the bays of our "garage" it's not really a garage as evidenced by the fact that, well, it doesn't exist.

No comments: