Wednesday, June 10, 2009

An irresponsible 8th grader (subtitled: Lincoln's family is SO cool and has a wikipedia page!!!)

Last night I IM'd my parents because Hannah needed some additional information regarding her ancestry for this immigration unit they're doing in school. Mom is pretty great about knowing her grandparents, great-grandparents, etc. but Dad's side in particular has traced their extended family as much as possible. My dad actually has a binder that shows so much of our extended family that it links me to one of my best friends growing up. I'm not exactly sure how it works but I believe Kelley married the son of the 2nd wife of my dad's cousin.

Anyway, Dad pretended (?) to be indignant last night because supposedly my Grandma Lentz sent me something on November 27, 1990 to "guard with my life" regarding my ancestry. It was basically a hand-written family tree. It took me until tonight - yes, 24 hours later - to realize that I would have been in 8th grade in November 1990. As usual I think my dad is full of shit. (And I am obviously terrible at math.)

He scanned the document and sent it to me last night, once again with the "guard with your life" notation and I have to admit, it's pretty cool. Just seeing the "born in Ireland during the potato famine" comment was pretty cool in my opinion.

Whenever I get excited about tracing my own ancestors it starts making me think about Lincoln's side of the family. They put us to shame. Lincoln's Uncle Russ and Aunt Elaine actually sent us all the documentation that Hannah or Jake need if they ever want to apply to the Society of Mayflower Descendants. Yes, Lincoln's relatives came over on the Mayflower. THAT Mayflower. Apparently Hannah and Jake (and Lincoln) are descendants of one of the 41 signers of the Mayflower Compact in 1620. Peter Brown's daughter Rebecca married William Snow and so on and so on.

Next year Hannah's class will be taking a field trip in the fall to Plymouth Plantation. It will be cool to be able to send some of this stuff in with her to show her classmates.

No comments: