Tuesday, May 13, 2008

What are we going to do with Jake?

Ever since Jake entered the "terrible twos and threes" we've struggled with how to deal with Jake's stubborn, headstrong, pain in the ass streak - which I firmly believe he inherited from my father (and not me personally). Just kidding Dad! Anyway, he goes through these spurts of testing the limits and each time we have to figure out how to tailor his punishment to make the most impact. After trying several styles of punishment a few months ago we hit on the fact that he hated spending time alone in his room. That is now our go-to punishment when he gets into trouble.

Last night Hannah was laying on the floor watching television. Jake kept jumping over her and she kept asking him to stop. Finally I said "Jake, STOP jumping over your sister. She has asked you nicely to stop - so don't do it." Well, he looked right at me and jumped over Hannah again. Defiant little bugger. He got sent directly to his room. Here is the conversation we had when I told him he could come back down.

Me: Jake, you can come back down now and join the family

Jake: That was the MOST fun!

Me: What was?

Jake: Playing in my room. (said with a huge smile on his face)

UGH!!!!!!!! What are we going to do with this kid? We never went through this with Hannah.

No comments: