Thursday, May 1, 2008

Happy May Day!

Happy May Day to one and all. When I was a kid we used to make May Day baskets from styrofoam cups and pipe cleaners, fill them with candy, and deliver them to the neighbor kids. You left them on the doorstep, rang the doorbell, and then ran like crazy hoping not to be caught. I think if you were caught you had to do something "scandalous" like kiss the person. I don't quite remember. Rachel might. She remembers far more of my childhood than I do and she was certainly right beside me every May Day running like crazy.

I'm sad to say they don't do that anymore. At least not here in Massachusetts.

1 comment:

Rachel Klevar said...

It's funny you should write that. I was at Walgreen's yesterday and as I passed the candy aisle, I remembered May Day (which they do NOT specifically advertise at Walgreen's btw). I suddenly really missed running around Decorah delivering baskets, and I had the urge to buy a bunch of candy and make some. I very quickly dropped that idea when I thought about the skill, time and materials needed for the whole endeavor. I've gotten lazy in my old age.