Thursday, May 22, 2008

We made CHEESE!

Tonight Rachel and I joined my Executive Assistant's Group for an "interactive kitchen" event. There were 21 of us and we broke into 3 teams to make a fancy dinner. The place that does this was very nice...great kitchens...every possible cooking tool...and chefs to assist you. One team made Fettuccine with Slow Roasted Tomato Sauce. One team made Butternut Squash Ravioli with Parmesan Sauce. Our team made "Totally from Scratch Lasagna". And I mean, TOTALLY from scratch. Within our team we divided up the duties. Rachel, Cindy, and I made the cheese. Yes, we MADE the cheese. We made mozzarella and ricotta cheese completely from scratch. I have to say...it's pretty cool to have made cheese.

The mozzarella was really easy. At one point the cheese is soaking in very hot water (near boiling) and you put your hands in a bowl of ice, milk and water and then put them in the hot water to stretch and roll the cheese. It was awesome. The ricotta took a long time to make but it was interesting to know you can make cheese just by putting milk, cream, lemons, and salt in a pan and slowly boiling it.

While all of this is going on they also have cheese, fruit, bread and crackers for you to munch on as well as beer, wine, water, and soda. Attendants are constantly coming around and taking your dirty dishes and bringing them back clean. The chefs walk around and help you. After all the food is done you sit down in this beautiful dining area and they pour you wine and you get to eat all the great food. Afterwards they bring out dessert and coffee. Finally they send you home with folders that contain all the recipes.

It was a great evening and we had lots of fun. Of course both Rachel and I are married to men who do most of the cooking so it's not like we're going to bring these skills home and use them but it was still a blast. I have to say though, I might try my hand at mozzarella again someday. That was pretty darn cool.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I can't wait to get my hands on these recipes! I already make pasta, breads, everything, etc. from scratch. I can't wait to make cheese!

From there all I'll need to learn is how to make my own wine!