Thursday, May 1, 2008

Parenting Dilemma

Today is Thursday which means that it is piano day for Hannah. Over the last three years Hannah has taken ballet and tap dance and also dabbled in various other extra-curricular activities. She has taken classes in gymnastics, ice skating, soccer, spanish, and now Little League among other things. We let her try a little bit of everything and let her quit when it is over if she wants to. The only requirements we have is that we try to limit them to only 2 activities at a time and she has to see each session through to the end and completely finish her commitment. Only twice have I really struggled with this as a parent. Piano is one of them. She really hates practicing and I hate having to force it each week. She's terribly nervous about her recital coming up in about 6 weeks and she tries to talk Daddy into letting her skip her lesson every Thursday. The reason I'm struggling with this one is that I hated practicing piano when I was young but as an adult I really wish that I had stuck with it. Where do you find the balance between encouraging your child to develop a life long skill and forcing them to do something you wish you had done as a kid? The good news is that she's very young still and if she drops piano now she can always come back to it later. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

No comments: