Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Bugs, bugs, and more bugs

If Jake's tick wasn't bad enough yesterday, Hannah now has head lice. About every three weeks since the beginning of the school year a notice has come home saying that there is an outbreak of head lice at the school. Until now we've been lucky enough to avoid getting it. Well, our luck has finally run out.

Since Hannah has such blonde hair it was pretty easy to spot this morning when I was pulling her hair back into a ponytail for ballet. They look like little black sesame seeds. Since we were already going to the doctor for her ankle (deep bruise, luckily no break) we had him take a look at it and she definitely has lice. Lice, by the way, is not an inexpensive problem to treat. I've already spend about $300 on medicine, shampoos, combs, sprays, etc. Not fun.

We are now back at home and she has some incredibly bad smelling, flammable pesticide on her hair (she was NOT happy about that) and I'm about ready to start scrubbing, vacuuming and washing every fabric in this house....bedding, couch cushions, blankets, etc. I also picked up new hair brushes for both her and me since she often steals my hairbrush when she can't find hers.

I haven't had a chance to check Jake yet but he's next on my list. Then Lincoln and I will have to check each other. Unfortunately both of us have dark hair which will make it a bit tougher. If we've contained it with just Hannah I would be terribly surprised, but eternally grateful. All of a sudden this morning's cuddling session in bed isn't as heartwarming as it was 8 hours ago.

I'm sure there will be much more to this saga before it's over but I have to say, at times like this, life sucks.

No comments: