Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Punishments

Lincoln (jokingly) has decided that our next punishment for Jake is to make him kneel in the corner on uncooked rice. I doubt we'll get to that point. Over the years I have learned one valuable tool in the selection of punishments. When selecting a punishment I sort of let Jake and Hannah guide me. When they know they've done something wrong I ask them what they think their punishment should be. Then I throw out ideas.

"Should I take away TV for a week?"

"ok", they say.

"Should I take away play time in the bathtub?"

"ok."

"Should I take away computer time?"

"ok."

Should I take away chocolate milk for a week?"

"No! No! No!"

Ah ha! BINGO! That is what is taken away. You have to find their weak spot. That works with Hannah. Actually, what works most with Hannah is telling her she has disappointed us. She HATES to disappoint us. With Jake, it's hit or miss. As evidenced by his telling me he loves spending time in his room, he has figured out how to work us. As frustrating as it is, I like how he keeps us on our toes.

No comments: