Friday, January 16, 2009

Rent

If you haven't ever seen the musical Rent you really should. It's a fantastic play. Even my husband, who usually only tolerates my love of the theater, loves going to see Rent. We've seen it quite a few times. Tonight on my way home from work I was listening to the Rent soundtrack in my car. It's truly fantastic.

I remember the first time I went to see Rent. It was the weekend I flew out to see my friend Stephanie when she was going to school on Long Island. I remember booking my last minute ticket when Northwest Airlines used to do their Cyber Fares which were posted on Wednesdays for flights that following Saturday with a return on either Monday or Tuesday. I remember going to a party at Four Seasons (four party apartments in college...not the luxury hotel) the night before where I participated in my first, and only, beer bong in college. I even have a picture of that somewhere. They were also doing keg stands that night but I didn't try one of those. I remember going into the city with Stephanie on the train from Long Island. It was only the second time in my life that I had been to NYC. I've always loved Steph's singing voice and I remember her singing me some of the Rent lyrics from the song La Vie Boheme (Why Dorothy and Toto went over the rainbow/To blow off Auntie Em) and from Happy New Year (You can take the girl out of Hicksville / But you can't take the Hicksville out of the girl) . I remember paying $20 for standing room only tickets and standing in the back of the theater in my high heel boots completely enthralled with every minute of the show. The entire thing was magical.

And then I remember taking the train back out to Long Island and falling down the stairs coming off the train platform. But that's another story for another day....and no, it doesn't involve a beer bong or alcohol of any sort but it does involve a bag of frozen peas.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Oh my gosh! Memories! haha! Yes, I do remember all of those things about that night Diane. Good time, good times. And btw, I too, still LOVE and like to listen to Rent from time to time! Aaron has never truly gotten on board with it though. Glad to know that Linc has! :-)