Thursday, January 15, 2009

Hannah's first sewing project

For Christmas we signed Hannah up for sewing lessons. There is a lady here in town who does lessons for kids 9 and older but she agreed to do a special class for 7 and 8 year olds because I managed to find two other mothers who wanted to participate too. From the way she made it sound the kids would only be tracing patterns on paper and not even using thread for the first four weeks or so. Well tonight was Hannah's second class and she came home with a very simple little pouch that she had made by sewing two pieces of fabric on three sides and then flipping it inside out. Then she took a marker and decorated the fabric. It's a fantastic little pouch and I immediately put some receipts that had been on my desk in it and put it in my drawer. It works perfectly. She's very excited because I guess next week they're going to make a simple little pillow.

I really hope she continues to enjoy the class. I would love to know how to sew and unfortunately my knowledge is very limited. It truly is a lost art among my generation.

No comments: