Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The bubble has popped

Despite my euphoria from being on vacation for 17 days Real Life came back rather quickly. By Tuesday morning I was awake at 4:17 a.m. with thoughts of everything that I have to get done at work, at home, and for the PTO. Ah....stress......gotta love it.

The morning started off a little hectic anyway since Jake had his 4-year old physical. About 20 minutes before we had to leave for the doctor's office he managed to run full speed into the kitchen counter (he claimed he didn't know it was there!) and ended up with a huge purple bruise and a cut on his cheek. A lovely way to take your child to the doctor for a check-up. Luckily his black eye was long gone.

Jake's appointment went well. He gained 4 pounds and 4 inches in a year which puts him in the 88th and 89th percentile respectively. In other words, he's a tall boy. The good news is he's proportionate so he doesn't look like he's a "big" boy. His BMI is actually a very healthy 16%. Jake was not terribly happy about the appointment because he had to get one finger prick (for his blood test) and three vaccinations including the flu vaccine. With his current obsession about skeletons he started crying and asked "Do I have holes in me now?"

After Jake's appointment I managed to get to work just in time to slip into staff meeting without being late (to staff meeting, not work....for that I was an hour and fifteen minutes late). Since it was the first one of the year it was a long one. Then in the afternoon I had five interviews back-to-back-to-back. Needless to say I didn't get much work done.

After work I headed over to the hospital to visit my friend Tracy. She had surgery on Monday afternoon to replace a bulging disc in her neck. It was a pretty intensive surgery and her recovery is going to be a long one but at least she'll hopefully be able to function without pain from now on once she's healed.

This morning I actually have a little time to catch up on things around the house and for the PTO. We have a nice little ice storm right now so the office is opening late which helps out a lot. Tonight I'll go visit Tracy again and then tomorrow night is my PTO board meeting and Friday morning is pre-school Open House where we hope to get Jake enrolled in the program for next year.

Is it time for my 2009 holiday break yet?

No comments: