Friday, January 30, 2009

Karate / Good Parenting

Tomorrow morning Jake has karate again. Last week I took him and he participated in the last 10 minutes of class (a huge success!). The week before Lincoln took him and he cried so hard he got a bloody nose (Jake, not Lincoln). I told him that I would like to take Jake tomorrow because I really think I can get him to participate in the entire 30 minute class.

I'm the "mean" parent usually. Lincoln is the "nice" one. I'm quickier to discipline and have a more "I mean business" tone to my voice. Lincoln sometimes gets disparaged by the fact that the kids don't listen to him quite as much as they listen to me. He's definitely more tolerant than I am. I don't think this is a bad thing. Kids need that balance. Lincoln is by no means soft with them....he's just less "scary". They don't need two strict parents and they CERTAINLY don't need too lenient parents.

I think Lincoln and I are a perfect match. We both agree that the children should never play us off of each other and we never disagree with each other in front of the children regarding a disciplinary action or punishment. If Lincoln says "no" to Hannah and then she tries to ask me the same question for a different answer she not only doesn't get what she wants she gets twice the punishment for trying to manipulate Mommy and Daddy.

I have no real point to this post other than the fact that I think Lincoln felt a little down earlier when I said I wanted to take Jake to karate in the morning because I think I can get him to do it. Lincoln is a FANTASTIC father. But more importantly he's the yin to my yang. He may be the "softy" but he's no pushover. I respect him so much as a father and I wouldn't want my children to be raised by anyone else.

I love you honey. But I still want to be the one to take Jake to karate in the morning. Unless this cold I'm fighting decides otherwise.

No comments: