Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I have taught her well

Sometimes I ask Lincoln a question and give him the illusion of having a choice. I'll ask him his thoughts and when he answers I'll just stand there and keep looking at him until he changes his answer. He's pretty good about it. If he truly wants to stick with his original answer than we'll discuss it and come to a mutual decision but usually he lets me get my way. Oftentimes I ask him the question because I think I want him to answer but then when he answers a certain way I realize that I really wanted another thing.

For example:

Me: Honey, should we go see Movie A or Movie B?

Lincoln: Movie A.

Me: Really?

Lincoln: Movie B?

Me: Good, that's what I was thinking too. Once you said Movie A I realized I really wanted to see Movie B.

Anyway, this whole story is to explain something that happened tonight after dinner. We have a cauldron of candy in the kitchen (a plastic Halloween decoration where all holiday, birthday party, and random candy ends up) that the kids get to pick a treat from after dinner. It's mostly filled with dum dums and tootsie pops. Each night the kids usually pick three different suckers and tell one of us to keep picking until there is only one left and then that's what they eat. Tonight Hannah presented this dilemma to Lincoln while I was in the next room. All of a sudden I hear:

Lincoln: How do you women know how to do that!?!

I asked Hannah what she did and she said that she asked Daddy to pick a sucker for her but when he tried to pull out the one that she really wanted she just held them really, really tight until he started to pull out the two that she didn't want.

She's obviously learning through the powers of observation and I couldn't be more proud of her.

No comments: