Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Yet another reason I shouldn't work where I do

I don't often blog about work for fear of being dooced someday but this a pretty funny story from last night. My boss was hosting a reception at one of our concert venues and so I had to be on-site in case he needed something and to make sure everything was running smoothly.

First and foremost, I am not a concert goer. Second, I'm not a huge fan of music. As much as it pains the people that I work with that live and breathe music, to me music is just nice background noise. Last night the concert headliner was John Mellencamp. Throughout the entire evening, he and his opening act, Lucinda Williams, had barely registered in my mind. At one point though I had to walk from the VIP tent to the box office and I actually thought to myself:

"Wow, they sure are playing a lot of Mellencamp tonight." Then it occurred to me "Well duh, it's a live concert...not just music being piped in".

Yes, that is how oblivious I am to the industry that pays my mortgage. On the good news front, I am not obsessed with music and can focus on the job that I was hired to do....which has nothing to do with music and everything to do with running the office and making my boss's life easier.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

"On the good news front, I am not obsessed with music and can focus on the job that I was hired to do"

ouch, is that a personal dig on my lack of a work ethic?