Monday, July 14, 2008

The tooth fairy

Last night at dinner on the way home from Maine Hannah lost another tooth. When we got home she dug out her tooth fairy pillow and said "I hope the tooth fairy brings me a toy this time." This is a problem that I have with today's "tooth fairies". Back in the day it was pretty standard that you got money and only money. These days kids get money (up to $20 a tooth), toys, and Webkinz. Hannah gets $1 per tooth. That's it. No toys, no stuffed animals, nothing more than $1. So last night I had to explain to her that when Mommy and Daddy decided to have kids we sat down with the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny to go over what kind of stuff we'd approve for our kids and what they were allowed to give our children in order to keep them from becoming too spoiled. She actually took it pretty well although she was a little bummed. I told her when she has her kids and she gets to meet with the TF, SB, and EB she could set the rules. She seemed okay with that. I expect her kids to be "authorized" to receive LOTS of gifts at every event.

1 comment:

Scott said...

You are brilliant. That is an awesome explanation...