Monday, July 21, 2008

Titanic

Last night I watched the movie Titantic for the first time since college. I have to say, I definitely watched it with different eyes this time. It wasn't so much the love story between Jack and Rose that made me cry, it was watching parents try to save their children and the old married couple that faced it together in their stateroom, curled up on the bed together. One scene that really got me was when the man was putting his wife and two daughters in the life boat and the girls are screaming their heads off and he's very calmy saying to them "Don't worry. The boat for Daddies will be leaving soon". At that point you know he knew he was doomed but he was trying to console his daughters. As a parent it really tore at my heart. Then there was the Irish mother who was tucking her sons into bed and telling them a bedtime story to calm them before the end. And of course, when all the corpses are floating in the water at the end they show a woman cradling a newborn.

It also made me think of all those stories that came out after the tsunami in 2004. Those stories of parents that had to make a choice of which children to hold onto and which ones to let try and swim on their own. Once you become a parent you're one big ball of exposed nerves for the rest of your life. I can't even imagine having to make a decision like that.

Okay, that is enough of the serious, depressing thoughts on a Monday morning.

No comments: