Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A Trip Within a Trip

In August we are flying out to Seattle to visit my family for an entire week. Mom suggested the other day that she and Dad would be willing to keep the kids by themselves for a night if Lincoln and I wanted to go away somewhere by ourselves. I can't pass that up! And for those of you that know me, just because it's only 1 night does not mean we have to limit ourselves to the immediate area. After all, I'm the person that planned us a trip where we went from Boston to London for the weekend and didn't even miss any work. We left Friday night after work and were back at home on Sunday night.

I started out my research close to the Seattle area. I looked at Victoria and Vancouver, B.C. as well as the San Juan Islands, Snoqualmie Falls, and the rainforest over on the peninsula. I even looked at Mt. Rainier National Park. I found some nice places but nothing that really jumped out at me. While a spa and wine package in Eastern Washington is right up my alley it doesn't leave much for Lincoln to do. And a kayaking/hiking/biking vacation at Snoqualmie is great for Lincoln but is definitely weather dependent which isn't good when you only have a small window of time. I decided to broaden my horizons and look a little further out. What I came across was Coeur d'Alene, ID.

Idaho you say? Why would anyone want to go to Idaho? Well check this out: www.cdaresort.com and you'll see why. The hotel looks great and it has a spa which makes me happy. Plus, if it's sunny we can go jet skiing, hiking, biking, or kayaking. If it's rainy there is an indoor water park and climbing wall as well as a microbrewery that offers tours. It's not weather dependent, it offers physical activity which makes Lincoln happy and a spa which may be needed if I spend a day kayaking and hiking.

If we wanted to drive it's about 5 hours but we decided to fly instead. It's $49 over and $29 back per person. $29 for a flight these days? That doesn't even begin to cover the gas it takes the plane to pull away from the gate but who am I to complain?

So that's our vacation within a vacation and I can't wait! Doesn't it sound like fun?

No comments: