Saturday, July 26, 2008

I am such a goober

I just got back from Hannah's show. Basically what the drama camp kids did was a baseball themed song at the beginning of the show and then they came back out on stage at the end for the finale and the curtain call. In between Hannah actually got to sit with me in the audience and watch the show. I have to say, considering that the kids in the show only worked for 3 weeks, and probably none of them were older than 13, they did an excellent job.

Here is where we get to the "I am a goober" part of the story. Hannah left during the 2nd-to-last song to go backstage for the curtain call. During the final song, "We're All in This Together", the prologue kids came out and stood on a riser in the back. I started bawling! Yes, I really did. I don't know why. I just did. I was so proud of her and how grown up she is. You would have thought she was the star of the show and had gotten over a severe stuttering problem and scoliosis to be in the play the way I was bawling. It was just a wee bit embarrassing. Luckily I got myself under control before the lights came all the way up and before Hannah saw me.

This isn't the first time I've cried during one of Hannah's shows. During Hannah's first ballet recital I bawled the entire way through her dance. And leading up to that was the worst hour of my life. I was probably way more nervous than she was. But that time I had a legitimate reason to cry. It was the first time that she'd ever done anything like that and I was hit by how "grown-up" she was. She was only 4 at the time.

Anyway, I'm a goober, that's a given. And hopefully I'll remember what show she was in 20 years down the road (unlike my own mother!). As for my hopes that Rachel remembered what show we were in, she said the only thing she remembers is getting a bloody nose during the show (or possibly the dress rehearsal since she knows she was wearing a costume at the time).

I took a picture of Hannah after the show with her flowers (yes, I remembered them this time, unlike at her dance recital) but I'll have to post them tomorrow since I don't have my camera card reader with me.

No comments: