Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Pet Peeve

Contrary to what Hannah Montana would have you believe, you cannot have the best of both worlds. It drives me absolutely insane when I go into Whole Foods and everything is "Vegan Steak Quesadillas" and "Vegan BBQ Chicken" and "Vegetarian Liver". As a meatetarian I do not go around demanding that my salads and baked potatoes be made completely of meat but taste like vegetables. If you're not going to eat steak then you don't get to have steak quesadillas. You can't save Bessy the cow and eat a fake one at the same time. That doesn't make you a vegan....it makes you a hypocrite. Now, if you can't eat meat for religious or medical reasons then that's one thing but if it's just because the thought of a nice, juicy steak served up from the farm makes you queasy than go eat your tofu and edamame and leave the carnivorous activities to the rest of us. I think what bothers me even more is that in general (and no, I'm not saying all of them.....just many of them) vegans and vegetarians tend to have a "better than thou" complex. They look down their noses and say "how can you eat that living creature". Well, for one thing....it's not living anymore. Meanwhile they're apparently sneaking off to Whole Foods and getting fake steak and chicken fixes. And I'm sorry....any vegan/vegetarian who eats Vegetarian Liver is just a wacko. The only place liver can come from is INSIDE AN ANIMAL. It is a functioning organ that produces BILE. To eat a real liver is disgusting....to want one so badly that you eat a fake one is just beyond my mental capabilities.

3 comments:

mark said...

Live and let starve. That's my motto.

Jennifer said...

But part of what I like about my veggie burgers is that they taste like vegetables and not meat. The vegetables are just packaged better for consumption in neat little veggie filled patties.

Is vegetarian liver for real?

Diane Lentz Snow said...

According to last week's daily sample at the deli counter it is.

Veggie burgers should be called Veggie Patties then instead of Veggie Burgers. They're not burgers if they don't have meat in them.