Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Don't read if you're squeamish

I went to the oral surgeon today to have her check out the thing that my dentist found in my mouth last week. Apparently I have to have it removed and "sent to the lab for testing". Sounds delightful, huh? Apparently it's a quick procedure and only requires Novocain but that my mouth will be quite sore for a few days afterwards. I asked if they just cut the tissue off at the top or if they have to cut into the bone and she said they'll have to cut down into the bone to remove it. That just makes me want to gag. I'm having horrible flashbacks to when I had my wisdom teeth removed in high school.

She said it could be something as simple as an oral papilloma, which I guess is a "benign tumor similar to a wart" (which also makes me want to gag) and "could have been caused by a virus" but at least it's harmless. Let's hope that's all it is. She did, however, keep asking me if I smoked, which I don't. I still have no idea how I would have gotten it but at least it will be gone if that's all it is. I've scheduled the procedure for Monday, April 27th so hopefully I will be fully recovered by the Kentucky Derby on Saturday, May 2nd. Michael's smoked ribs and Deb's homemade mac 'n cheese are not to be missed and they only serve them up once a year!

For those of you keeping track of our appointments lately, here is where we stand:

April 11th - Hannah's eye appointment regarding her headaches
April 27th - Removal of my "raised white lesion"
April 29th - Lincoln's appointment with the dermatologist for the mole his primary doctor "doesn't like the looks of".

2 comments:

mark said...

I just gagged a couple times in sympathy, if it means anything to you.

Diane Lentz Snow said...

Thank you.....it certainly does. No one like to gag alone.