Monday, April 13, 2009

The circle of life leads you right to the Oregon Trail

When I was a kid I LOVED playing Oregon Trail at school. What a great computer game. A few years ago Melissa, my former office mate, and I found a copy of it on eBay and we played it at work in December when we were really slow (this was before they started closing us for the holiday break). We had a blast. We'd make other co-workers start out either really young or really old and see if they could survive the trip. They've definitely made the game a lot fancier than it was when I was a kid. There are a lot more choices now and the shopping at the beginning is actually rather in-depth instead of just a list of items that you could buy. Today I saw that they were selling it in Hannah's Scholastic Book Club flier so of course I had to buy it. It was only $15!

Along with every other kid in America Hannah brings home her monthly Scholastic Book Club fliers. Most months I just toss them in the recycling bin but lately I've actually been letting her go through them and select a few books. Of course it's not just the regular Scholastic Book Club anymore. She gets the two regular Scholastic fliers (Arrow and Lucky) and she also gets Scholastic Click! which is an interactive learning one that sells computer games. She also got Scholastic Virtues which sells bible stories and "life lessons". I haven't noticed that one before....maybe it only comes in April along with the Passover and Easter holidays. Who knows.

When I was a kid I used to go through those each month and circle a million books. Then my Mom would usually cut me down to one or two which really bummed me out. Now Hannah is the one that is doing the circling and I'm the one going through with a marker and crossing out the ones she doesn't need. I've become my mother.

But at least I'll still get to play Oregon Trail! Woo hoo!

No comments: