Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Our cute new gardener


I have never been much of a gardener. After a few years of living in our house I decided I should try planting some flowers. I usually get them in, water them for a few weeks, and then get busy and they die. Only the truly hardy flowers can survive around here. Last year my lilac bush that I've had for six years finally bloomed. It survived rolling down our yard in a pot the first year I had it and then not being watered for two years and now it looks great. This year there were even enough blooms to cut a bunch and put them in vases around the house.

My roses that I planted two years ago are also thriving. I bought them because they had a "you can't kill these hardy suckers" description on them. I planted them all across the front of the house because I assumed it had about the same amount of sun but one side of the house apparently gets more sun as those flowers are thriving and the others, while blooming, look quite anemic.

Anyway, my mom was showing the kids how to take care of the flowers while she was here this week. They were cutting off the deadheads (again, something I never bother to do) and cutting blooms to put in vases. Since Hannah was sick last night she didn't get to help but Jake did. He makes a very cute gardener.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Agreed. He is such a handsome little guy.