Thursday, July 16, 2009

An unscheduled stop (Rachel - don't read this post)

We just left Danbury, CT where we stopped for breakfast. Unfortunately Jake's came right back up. Luckily we learned our lesson the last time we drove across the country and this time we were prepared for every possible scenario. Two years ago Jake threw up unexpectedly on I-90 and we had a serious clean-up situation where we even had to take the padding off his car seat. Luckily I had plenty of Wet Ones and paper towels packed on that trip so it was messy but not too bad. At least we didn't have to wait until we got to a gas station in order to do clean up.

Years ago, during another road trip when Hannah had the flu, my Aunt Lin gave us a small hard trash bucket that used to be in Grandpa Benson's van. Lincoln usually has it in his truck but we remembered to pack it in my car for the trip. Luckily Jake grabbed the bucket when he got sick and with the exception of a little miss during one of his gags we didn't have too much of a mess. We were able to pull over on the side of the road, empty the bucket and get everything cleaned up. And this time I not only had paper towels and Wet Ones but I had Clorox wipes and air freshener for the car. I also had a ziploc bag for bagging up the stinky paper towels and the next time we stop at a gas station we'll dump it.

We're back on the road now. Jake is feeling much better and is slowly sipping on a bottle of water. Hopefully that will be our only incident with vomit over the next week and a half. My children have both been known to get car sick but neither of them are consistently car, air or boat sick so we never know when it's going to happen. Surprise! Too bad those aren't the kinds of surprises that I like.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Sorry Jakey-Poo (yes, that is my nick-name for him) got sick. BUT, so glad you are with a laptop so that I can read updates on your trip along the way! Love your blogging Diane! (Hey, remember when we used to call you, Dirty Diana...oh. And remember how you LOVED it??) hehe! I do love you. Just teasing ya!