Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Embracing the quirkiness

Lately I've been very disturbed by all the things that are wrong with my 2003 Saturn. I spend a lot of time in my car (as evidenced by the 131,000 miles I've put on in 6 years) so I've been fighting all the little issues that I've been having with my car. Today I finally decided to give up and embrace the quirkiness of my car. And isn't that sometimes the thing that makes you cool? For example, in the movies isn't it always the bad boy/outsider girl/loner/rebel that drives some old beater or has the high school locker that requires you to hit it in certain spots to open it? Well that's my car. So from now on I'm going to embrace the fact that only I know where, and how often, you have to hit the dashboard in order for the CD player to accept the CD. And that only I know to expect that in 90 degree weather or higher (which we're obviously not having this summer) the passenger side door will stick on the bottom and slam back and hit you in the face if you're trying to get out. Or exactly where to hit the plastic panel in the tailgate to silence the loose screw that is rolling around and can't be retrieved.

So there you have it. You can now consider me one of the cool kids.

2 comments:

Scott said...

I always have, Diane. ;)

mark said...

Or like Keith Carradine in that Madonna video where he wins her even though he's driving that beater pickup. I hear ya.