Saturday, September 27, 2008

Small Town America

I love coming back to visit Iowa. It's a place that really is sort of stuck in time and I mean that in the best possible way. It's a slower more peaceful way of life where things are easier and certainly simple. When we got to Elma the other day my Dad took us out to the Mennonite Auction. Apparently this is an auction that takes place 3 times a week. Farmers, both Mennonite and non-Mennonite, bring in pick-up truck and tractor wagons full of produce to be auctioned off. There is everything from tomatoes, pumpkins, and squash to huge potted mums. You have to buy things in huge bulk lots but they go for super cheap. On one side of the building you see tractors and pick-ups lined up. On the other side of the building you see big semi trucks just waiting to load up the veggies and truck them to various grocery stores and restaurants. It's actually a really neat process to watch. Here are a bunch of photos that I took from my camera phone. I was really bummed that I left my camera at home but these pictures turned out better than I thought they would.



1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I love seeing stuff like that! SO much better than the meat auction!

It's just great to see that there are people out there, doing their thing, living their lives, separate from all the BS we deal with every living near cities. It kinda puts things into perspective a bit.