Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A fitting tribute


1914-2008


Well we made it back to Elma. I flew out at 6:00 a.m. this morning and met Debbie and Mark at the airport in Minneapolis before we drove down to Iowa. It is surprisingly not depressing...at least not yet. Her death wasn't terribly unexpected - she was 94 after all. And we had a week or so to process that this could happen. I thought I'd really lose it when I walked into her house because I've never gone into her house without her shuffling out to give me a hug. It was sad but the house was so full of people that it wasn't that bad. I know that the wake tomorrow and the funeral on Friday will be terrible but so far everyone is hanging in there.

The picture up above is the sign that hangs outside her front door in Elma. I thought it a fitting tribute for today since we've all been hanging around her house sharing memories of her and looking at old photos. Even though she's not here in body I know she's still there in spirit.

No comments: