Wednesday, February 11, 2009

This whole "PC" thing is out of control

When I was a kid I got a yearbook each year. I don't remember anyone asking my parents permission to print my picture and no one had to sign photography waivers. A yearbook was just a yearbook. I know that when I was on the yearbook staff in high school we never had to do any of that.

This year I'm doing the yearbook for my daughter's elementary school. This is the first year that they'll ever have one. At the beginning of the year I had to send out waivers for the parents to sign giving permission to publish both portraits and candids of their child(ren). They could approve or opt out. Or they could do a little of both (like approve the portrait but not candids). Tonight I was showing the pages of the individual portraits to the principal and she pointed out that we had not received permission to publish the childrens' names along with their pictures. I now have to send out 600+ waivers (and try and get them all back) granting permission to print the name of each child with their picture.

Is it just me or is this world getting out of control?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope and change.

yes we can.

Scott said...

Yes, I agree. That is just being ridiculous.