Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The longest 1 1/2 miles of my life

Yesterday we got a bunch of snow again. We didn't get too much accumulation but it was steady throughout the day. Our office closed at 4 p.m. so that people could head home before dark for fear that the roads would be pretty bad. My drive home on the Mass Pike was pretty good but you could tell that side roads weren't in the greatest condition. When I get off the interstate it's only about 3 miles of side roads until I'm home. The first mile and a half is a fairly busy road (especially at rush hour) and therefore was in pretty good condition. The last mile and a half was horrible. The roads hadn't really been plowed or sanded. It was slushy and slick and even worse than the day I had my near accident on that very same stretch of road.

That last mile and a half, with my hands clenching the steering wheel and tears streaming down my face, all I could think of was "Did Linus know he was going to die?" and "Did it hurt?"

God I really hope the answer was "no" to both. Whenever I think of how quickly Linus was taken from this Earth my heart is gripped in fear. I hate sending Lincoln out to work and I hate having the kids with me (or out with Lincoln) on even remotely icy days. I hate this fear but I appreciate how much it makes me value every moment I have with my family even more than I did before.

No comments: