Monday, February 16, 2009

Best Picture Nominees

I have now seen all five nominees for Best Picture at next weekend's Academy Awards. For those of you not following the Awards here are the nominees for Best Picture:
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
  • Frost/Nixon
  • Milk
  • The Reader
  • Slumdog Millionaire

I have to say they were all very good and all of them definitely deserve to be nominated. They all cover very different topics and each one moved me in a different way. I would have to say, if I was voting, I would definitely vote for The Reader. I know it's not likely to win....Slumdog Millionaire and Milk definitely have the most press and Slumdog has been cleaning up on the award circuit lately, but The Reader was phenomenal. It was the only one of the five movies that I wanted to start over and watch again immediately. The nuances of the film are terrific and the film doesn't tell you what to think or feel....it tells you what the characters are thinking and feeling and you just feel privileged to get to witness such amazing emotions. It's not a cheery topic....it is a holocaust film after all....but it is well worth a few hours of your time. I highly recommend it.

No comments: