Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Wow...I'm not sure where this came from

Jake was really, really sad/scared earlier. He was clinging to my neck with all his might and barely holding back tears. I'm still not sure what to make of it or where it came from but it all started rather randomly.

Jake: Mommy, I want to be 2 again.

Me: You do? How come?

Jake: I don't wanna get old.

(Mommy laughs)

Me: You don't want to get old, huh?

Jake: No (starting to cry). I don't want to turn into a skeleton.

Me: What!?!

At this point I picked him up to hug him and he was clinging to my neck and repeating over and over that he doesn't want to get old and turn into a skeleton. I didn't know what to do. I kept trying to reassure him over and over again that he isn't going to turn into a skeleton. At first I told him he was never going to turn into a skeleton but he finally said:

Jake: For a really long time?

Me: Yes, I promise you won't turn into a skeleton for a really, really long time. You won't ever turn into a skeleton for like 100 years.

Jake (starting to wail again): But I don't wanna turn into a skeleton!

I asked him where he got this information and he said Grandma [Snow]. I can't imagine what she said to him but he obviously took it the wrong way. While he was clinging to my neck I was looking at Lincoln over Jake's head and he was just looking back at me and shaking his head like "Wow, I don't know what to say to this one."

We seemed to get him calmed down and he went off to play in the living room for awhile. I sat down to do this post and he just came back over to crawl in my lap and once again tell me he doesn't want to get old and he doesn't want to become a skeleton. He's really upset about this.

I hope this isn't something that haunts him for a long time (no pun intended). I'm really not sure what to make of this. While it's heartbreaking to have him so upset I have to say it's pretty funny to hear a 4 year old complaining about getting old.

No comments: