Wednesday, December 24, 2008

I'm as bad as the kids

It's 8:20 a.m. on Christmas Eve right now and I can't wait for this day to be over. I am so excited for Christmas morning.

Hannah has always gone through life with general excitement about Christmas but it manifests itself more in how she can do things relating to Christmas. It's not so much about the presents that magically appear under the tree (although she does love those) but more about how she can make a gift for Santa or leave him cookies. She's never been terribly excited about the idea of meeting Santa and cares more about the excitement of buying and wrapping gifts.

Jake, on the other hand, is the epitome of what I remember Christmas being like. To him it's about the magic of Christmas. How does Santa get around the world in one night? How does he get into houses that don't have chimneys? Why does Santa do it? How do all the presents just appear? Can Santa really see me when I'm sleeping? When he sees Santa he lights up with excitement.

While Hannah's reaction to Christmas has certainly never been lacking, it's watching Christmas unfold through Jake's eyes that really makes me excited. It's such pure, unadulterated awe and it's beautiful to see.

Today is going to be a looonnng day....for both of us.

No comments: