Thursday, August 6, 2009

Paul McCartney

I have never claimed to be a music person....as evidenced by the fact that my favorite band is New Kids on the Block...but even I was blown away last night by the Paul McCartney show at Fenway Park. My music loving friends think it's blasphemy for me to say that I would rather listen to a perfectly recorded CD in the comfortable surroundings of my home or car to standing around in a crowd of sweaty people listening to music that may or may not come over the sound system sounding like anything I want to hear but I honestly believe it to be true. And when I am at a show, despite an artist usually saving their best songs for the encore, it's usually more important for me to get to my car and beat the traffic then it is to stay and hear those songs.

Last night was a different story though. I was never a Beatles fan. I also wasn't not a Beatles fan. I was completely indifferent to them as I am to all music that isn't "pop" music happening in this very moment. I'm rather fickle in my musical tastes and usually I only like what I like at the moment. I'll buy a CD and listen to it 150 times in my car before misplacing the CD and never listening to it again until I accidentally stumble upon it years later. So music that took place before my birth is not something that is typically going to catch my attention. And as evidenced by the answer to this question from last night you can see how my life's timeline falls in with the Beatles.

J: Where were you when Lennon was shot?

Let's see....I was born in 1977....he was shot in 1980.....So, um, yeah, I would have been THREE when Lennon was shot. Not really something that really impacted my little world back then. I would like to give myself props though for knowing that he died on December 8th. Of course the only reason I know that is because it's Jake's birthday.

But back to last night. Last night was AWESOME! What a great show. McCartney played for two and a half hours and even a musical idiot like myself knew a bunch of the songs that he played and truly appreciated his amazing talent. He really puts on a magical show. To make the night even more wonderful I got to view the concert in the luxury of a private box at Fenway Park where, as office manager, I was hosting a little "employee appreciation" event.

For those of you that would like to weep in jealousy check out the pictures below.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm impressed that you knew McCartney was in The Beatles!

Diane Lentz Snow said...

Be honest....you're surprised I even knew the Beatles existed. LOL.