Thursday, August 13, 2009

32 years and counting

I had a very lovely birthday yesterday. I took the day off and just relaxed. In the morning Lincoln and Jake gave me my birthday presents which were a new novel (a real one, not a trash novel) and a speaker so that I can play my iPod out by the pool. When I first came downstairs and sat on the couch in front of Jake I didn't exactly get the "happy birthday Mommy" I was hoping for. Instead I got "Hey! I was playing Star Wars there!". This morning, however, a day after my birthday, he said to me "Hey Mommy....I mean birthday girl." when I came downstairs. Very strange.

Anyway, after I opened my gifts Lincoln took Jake off to Grandma and Grandpa Snow's and I hopped in the shower. Even though it was going to be a lazy day for me I had to do my hair and make-up nicely because the first thing on my agenda for the day was getting my license renewed. You have to get a new picture every 9 years and mine was last taken in October 2000 right after we got married. So yes, I spent the morning of my birthday hanging out in the RMV. Very exciting.

After getting my new license I headed out to lunch and a movie. I am not one of those people that mind eating or going to the movies alone. I actually enjoy it. I took my new book with me and read it while I ate my lunch and then headed over to the movie theater to see Julie & Julia. It was a great movie.

After my incredibly strenuous day I headed home to take a nap before Lincoln and I went out to dinner. Talk about a relaxing afternoon. Lincoln took me to The Melting Pot for dinner which is one of my all time favorite restaurants. It's a fondue restaurant and it's definitely a time (and money) commitment because each course takes quite awhile but Lincoln and I love going there. It's not somewhere we would ever take the kids so it's a nice little get away for us. We have some drinks, eat some great food, and have about an hour and a half to two hours where we can just sit and have grown-up time together. I love it.

When we finished eating we headed over to Bob and Gail's to pick up Jake a little after 8:00 p.m. Lincoln had baked me a wonderful homemade cake - he even made homemade frosting! - but we were way too full to eat it last night. Instead we got up and had it for breakfast this morning. Chocolate cake and mint chocolate chip ice cream make a wonderful breakfast. Just ask my Mom.

And that was my wonderful birthday yesterday. The only thing missing was Hannah. Luckily she comes home this Saturday and as Jake keeps reminding me, that's "only two more sleeps!" from now.

No comments: