Monday, March 30, 2009

Secrets of a Happy Marriage

A few years ago Lincoln and I were getting ready for a trip to Iowa with the kids and things got a little crazy. Our fridge died a few days before we left and I remember standing in Lowe's looking at refrigerators with Hannah when Jake's daycare called and told me he had broken out in a rash of some sort. With everything else going on in regards to just getting ready for the trip it made for a really crazy few days.

Once we got to Iowa we were having a very enjoyable evening with some friends and I was talking about how crazy and hectic things had been. Our friend asked Lincoln if things got stressful between the two of us when all those things started going wrong at once....basically she was asking if we turn on each other like some couples do.... and I absolutely loved Lincoln's response.

Link: No, because it's us against the world. We're in this together.

That is so true in regards to our relationship. Everything we tackle we tackle as a team and I think that makes our marriage incredibly strong.

Last night we went out to dinner with my friend Jennifer and during dinner we were talking about how long Lincoln and I had been together. I said that we have been dating for 10 years this August. It's funny that we will have been married nine years this coming October but I still measure time in terms of us dating. We make the time to be together as a couple in addition to being parents and husband/wife and I love it. I think it's good for us and it's good for the kids to see their parents so in love.

And those are my wise words for today....

1 comment:

Scott said...

Lincoln sounds wonderful Diane. I love reading about how you guys make it work in this world as a loving husband and wife, working parents and devoted mom and dad. I only wish our families lived closer; I know we would have good times together. Plus - you KNOW I would kidnap Jake at least once a week just to see what he had to say that day! haha! Love ya!