Sunday, March 8, 2009

Don't provoke Mama Bear

For the most part I can let a lot of things roll off my back and just chalk them up to a society that is overburdened with rules and regulations because life is becoming overly bureaucratic and people get off on complaining about every little detail. For example, even though it's going to be a pain in the ass and, in my opinion unnecessary, I am going back to all 600+ parents of Hannah's school to get permission to print their student's name in the yearbook. Mind you I already got permission to print their pictures but the principal now won't let me print their names without an additional waiver being signed by the parents. That is a pain in the ass but I just shrug my shoulders and say "Oh well, what am I going to do about it. That's just how overly careful schools are these days." It's not a battle I figured was worth fighting.

But yesterday we got a letter from the school that really pissed me off. Basically it said that Hannah has been absent from school 9 times since the beginning of the school year and that they "wish to point out that Massachusetts General Laws Ch. 76, Section 2 allows that a child miss no more than 7 days in a six month period." The letter then went on to say "We would encourage you to make every effort to ensure that your child attends school regularly. We are concerned about Hannah's success." (emphasis mine)

Here is what set me off:

1) They tell me that I've essentially broken the law but they don't tell me what, if any, consequences there are for doing so. Will she be held back? Will she receive a failing grade? Nor do they ever tell you at the beginning of the year that they're limited to those 7 days. Hell, I get more sick days at my job than these kids get and I'm not spending day in and day out with 25 snot nosed kids coughing and hacking all over my pencils because their parent sent them to school so they wouldn't have to miss work and/or find daycare for them.

2) How the hell do you avoid all these absences when school policy practically makes you keep your kid home for 3 or more days when they're sick? If Hannah gets sick on a Monday and is really sick Monday and Tuesday but is 100% healthy on Wednesday she is still not allowed to go to school because she hasn't been symptom free for 24 hours. And if she's 100% better by 10 a.m. or so on Tuesday she still can't go to school on Wednesday unless we take her in late in which case (as evidenced by her attendance record) she is marked down as an unexcused tardy which is also held against her. If she gets sick in the fall and again in the winter or early spring you're already up to 6 of the 7 days that she's allowed for the entire year. So do I follow Mass Law or do I follow school policy? Get it together people.

and finally....

3) Don't you DARE question Hannah's success at school. That condescending, and completely unnecessary comment, sent me over the edge. I realize this is probably a form letter but they could change it up a little bit to fit the situation. At least pretend you know what the hell is going on in my child's school life. Either you send a form letter which just shows me that you have no actual involvement in my child's education other than collecting a paycheck or you take the time to realize that Hannah's success is never in doubt.

I'll spare you the entire letter that I sent to the principal and the dean of students but here was the final paragraph:

I realize that you're probably required to send this letter and if it's a law you certainly can't do much about it but I do not appreciate the tone of the letter (be it a form letter or not) saying that you're concerned about Hannah's success. Hannah could miss half the school year and still be as successful, if not more successful, in her studies than many of the other kids in her grade. I am less worried about her success than that of the school's ability to keep her challenged and learning at the level that she is capable of accomplishing. If she is honestly struggling in school, or her academic success is truly in jeopardy, then please contact me, not by form letter but by asking for a meeting or calling me. Until then do not waste my time questioning her (and our) commitment to her education or filling her student file with cryptic letters that erroneously cast a shadow on her academic achievements.

Like I said, don't mess with Mama Bear.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you happen to point out in your letter that her reason for being absent (basically her trip out west) was probably more educational than if she had been in school those days?

Also do they have "excused tardies"? If a child stays home until 10 am in order to be "symptom free" for 24 hours, why wouldn't that be an excused tardy?

Jennifer said...

I'm anxious to hear the follow up on this.