Monday, March 23, 2009

Graphic Content Below

I don't know how many of you are following the Chris Brown/Rihanna dating violence saga that is going on these days but I've been very disturbed by it. What disturbs me the most is that he allegedly beat the shit out of her and yet an alarmingly high percentage of teenagers surveyed are saying that she must have done something to provoke him, that she is to blame, and that being hit in a relationship is not uncommon. What the hell? It is NEVER okay for someone to hit you. I don't care what you say or do to them they should never hit you. Luckily I feel like my children are growing up with good role models in me and Lincoln. We never fight, verbally or physically, and we talk things out in an agreeable manner. Hopefully that is what both of them will come to expect out of their relationships as well.

The police report that was leaked to the press describing what allegedly happened that night is very heart wrenching to read. It sounded brutal. DoSomething.org has actually made a video re-enacting the scene while a narrator reads the police report out loud. It's a brutal dose of reality but I think people need to see it. This should never, ever happen to anyone. Here it is if you're interested in watching it:

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

It breaks my heart that kids actually think this is ok.