Thursday, August 7, 2008

Good listening

Jake talks all the time. And I mean ALL the time. For those of you that know me, that think I talk a lot, I look like a mute compared to Jake. And since he talks all the time we often tune him out. And then he repeats things. Over and over and over again until someone acknowledges him. This morning he came into the kitchen and asked me for a drink and I said "Sure" the first time. This is something that doesn't usually happen since his conversations usually go something like this:

"Mommy, where are we going today? I want to go to Grandma's. When are we going to Grandma Dena's? Is it going to be a long plane ride? My papa says it's a long ride. My papa knows how to fly. He taught me how to fly. My papa showed me how to fly. Where is Grandma's house? Can I have a drink?...Can I have a drink?....CAN I HAVE A DRINK?"

See! We've usually tuned him out by that point so he doesn't often get an answer about the drink on the first try.

Now, back to this morning:

Jake: Mommy, can I have a drink?

Me: Sure.

Jake: Now that's good listening.

No comments: