Thursday, March 18, 2010

Mom and Dad really should have given me a little brother

Just over two years ago I hired a 23-year old kid named Kegan to work for me as a runner. He only worked for me for a couple of months before he moved into the booking department but he and I remain very good friends. For the past two years I've referred to him as "the little brother I always wanted but Mom and Dad never let me have." Unfortunately Kegan was let go in the "Black Thursday" situation last week when sixteen people were laid off from our local office. The good news is he has a very promising job prospect already. The bad news is that it is in California and I'm going to miss him terribly when he moves away.

So, since my little brother is ditching me for the sunny Left Coast, I am happy to say that I have discovered a new little brother, at least for the time being. Last week I wrote about our new contractor at the office. For the past few weeks Cyril has been spending a lot of time whipping our construction project into shape and I've gotten to know him quite a bit. I've decided that he is the perfect little brother (second only to Kegan, of course). It's perfect. I make fun of him for the fact that he hurts himself golfing and for his strong Irish accent. He torments me by discovering all my little pet peeves and bringing them up any chance he gets. I've even decided that I adore his wife - who I've only met via email - and that no matter what she's right and he's wrong just to annoy him.

See, I would have made a great big sister.

No comments: