Monday, March 29, 2010

Imaginary no more

When Lincoln and I built our house at the end of 2001/early 2002 we poured the foundation for the garage but didn't build the garage itself. We figured we'd get to it "soon" but it never came about until now. We're finally building the garage and putting in a nice little mother-in-law apartment over it so that Mom and Dad can come and stay with us for longer periods of time.

I'm very excited about building the garage but a little bit of me is also sad to see our current "garage" go. Because the foundation has been poured all these years the footprint of the garage has always been in place. Lincoln and I park in the "garage" and we each have our assigned sides. If we're looking for something we say "it's out in the garage" if it's within the confines of the cement walls marking the edges of the foundation. We jokingly complain about how much the roof "leaks" when it rains and Lincoln grumbles about how he has to shovel out the "garage" when it snows. Our friends laugh about it and for 8 years it has been our own little joke about how we have a garage that has no walls or roof.

And now that's about to change. Like I said, I'm very excited about the garage but it's definitely going to be weird. It was our quirky little thing and now it's going to be gone.

Oh well. I'll get over it the first time it snows and I don't have to scrape off my car that was parked in the "garage".

No comments: