Tuesday, September 22, 2009

One year

Today is the one year anniversary of my Grandma Gert's death. It doesn't seem like a year has come and gone so quickly but I guess the calendar doesn't lie.

I'm not terribly sad.

I know that sounds bad, but I'm not. That doesn't mean I don't miss her or that I don't wish she was still here but I'm not sad. She was almost 95 years old when she died and she had lived a great life. She was still living at home by herself and she had her 8 wonderful children by her side when she passed away. Her funeral was sad but it really was more about celebrating her life and not mourning her death.

Those of us that knew her were blessed by her presence in our lives for many, many years. I guess it was time to give her back to those that had gone before her - Grandpa Charlie, Edith, Jerome, and David to name a few.

So I'm not sad. I'm happy for her and the loved ones she has been reunited with in heaven. We were selfish in keeping her for so long but I don't regret one day of it. I'd do it all over again.

No comments: