Monday, September 28, 2009

Looks like we're pushing the anniversary plans back a few days

Next Wednesday is our 9th wedding anniversary. Our plan was to go out to dinner and celebrate on our actual anniversary. I suppose we still could but I would like to be able to have some wine with our fancy dinner so I think we'll be pushing it back a few days.

Earlier today I found out I have a bacterial infection from my little dip in the pool last week to repair the hole in the bottom of the pool. The doctor told me she'd call in a prescription for antibiotics for me but that I had to make sure not to drink any alcohol while I was on it. I have no problems not drinking for a week while I'm on the pills but I thought it strange that she really emphasized this point. Medicine always has a "do not drink alcohol" label on the bottle but usually it doesn't mean that much. I mean, a glass of wine wouldn't kill you.

Lincoln picked up the prescription for me and I checked out the warnings on the bottle and it had the standard "Do not drink alcoholic beverages when taking this medicine" but this time it always said "check all medicine or food labels to help avoid hidden sources of alcohol". What? Wow. This sounds pretty serious. Usually when I get a new medication I skim the informational pamphlet on the side effects but this time I actually read the entire thing. One important thing I picked up on was that not only can I not drink alcohol for the 7 days that I am taking the medicine but that I'm not allowed to drink for 3 days afterwards either. Oh my.

This is where the anniversary dinner comes into play. My medicine will be done on Monday night and our anniversary is Wednesday night. I figured I'd email my Aunt Lin - who is a brilliant pharmacist - and get her take on whether or not we should move our anniversary dinner. Here is her reply:

Don't drink alcohol !!!! I think I'd move the anniversary dinner back a few days just to be on the safe side. If you still have any left in your system you could get violently sick to your stomach.

Happy Anniversary !!


Violently? Um, okay.

And I love how she followed up "violently sick" with a cheery "Happy Anniversary!"

Needless to say we'll be moving the dinner reservation.

No comments: