Friday, September 25, 2009

My big spender is now a cheapskate

In August Hannah went to the Taste of Edmonds with Grandma and Grandpa, her two cousins and her Uncle Steve. Someone gave each of the kids $5 to spend. Both boys immediately spent their money on toys but Hannah decided to save hers and put it in her wallet.

Since the kids have started doing chores they get an allowance every week. They've both been saving up for different things although Hannah got a lot of what she had been saving for when her birthday came around in August. I have always been guilty of spoiling the kids but all of a sudden I have a new weapon in aresenal.

Hannah: Mommy, can I have a color background for school pictures this year?

Me: It costs extra. If you want to pay the difference in price you can do it.

Hannah: Nah. I'll do the gray background.

(The next night at Open House at her school.)

Hannah: Can I get this scented eraser from the book fair?

Me: You have a million erasers that you never use but if you want to buy it with your own money you can.

Hannah: (Tosses it back in the bin and walks away.)

Lord knows she didn't learn fiscal responsibility from me. I just hope it continues through the rest of her life. After all, she's going to need a lot of money to take care of me in my old age since I'll be broke by then.

No comments: