Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Horrible News

Eight weeks ago from yesterday my Grandma Lentz passed away in Elma, IA. Today her oldest son, my Uncle Linus, was killed in a car accident. His death has hit me terribly hard. At least with Grandma it wasn't unexpected. She was 94 years old and had suffered a stroke a week prior to her death. Her wake and funeral actually were much more of a celebration of her life than the mourning of her death. This is totally different. Uncle Linus left the house this morning with every anticipation of returning to his family later in the day.

From the information I've received from my parents it sounds like he was driving over an icy bridge and lost control of his car. His car flipped over several times and he broke his neck. Sadly, when a passing trucker called the paramedics it was his son Tony, a local EMT, that was called to the scene. Linus was 70 years old and was the oldest of Grandma's eight children.

Please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers. I am still deciding whether or not to fly back for the wake and funeral. I've never lost anyone in my family other than a grandparent and both of them were elderly and neither death was a huge surprise. This death is hitting me terribly hard and I'm not sure how to cope with it. It just goes to show that your entire life can change in the blink of an eye.

1 comment:

Scott said...

I am so sorry for your family's loss Diane. Know that our thoughts and prayers are with you all. Love you!