Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Office Managers - the unsung heroes of America

I work as the Office Manager of our New England Office. Office Managers don't always get a lot of credit for things but they're the one that has to deal with all the shit on a daily basis to keep the office running smoothly. On any given day I wear many different hats. And sometimes I just want to take something heavy, take off all of those hats, and beat myself over the head. Today might be one of those days.

We have a fragrance free policy here at the office. We have someone who is pretty susceptible to strong scents and therefore the entire office is fragrance free. Over time it usually gets forgotten about and then I have to send out the reminder again and the complaints start all over again. Last night I had a dream that someone sent me an email complaining that someone was chewing spearmint gum and it was bothering them. You may laugh but it actually could happen around here. I actually had to think about whether I had dreamed it or if had actually happened yesterday.

Anyway, since I just re-established the fragrance free policy in the office I am now getting complaints that the fans in the bathroom are not strong enough and what am I going to do about it. I just called my assistant, Andie, and this is the task I gave her:

"Can you please find an air freshener that wipes out bad odors but has no discernible odor itself?

I guess there is one job crappier than mine.....that of my assistant.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

There used to be an OD cheat code for the fragrance free febreeze on the OD list in the binder.

Having been your assistant, and no longer getting paid to be your assistant, I still say your job is WAY worse!