Thursday, January 28, 2010

Maybe I should have sent Hannah over to help her

I may not have any ironing skills but at least I know the basics about sewing. Last night my friend Tracy posted on Facebook that she was wishing needles weren't so hard to thread and of course all her friends were making fun of her because the idea of her sewing is hilarious. This morning I decided to call her at work and check on how she did.

Me: Hello. How's my favorite little seamstress this morning?

Tracy (laughing): Good.

Me: So, why didn't you use one of those needle threaders last night?

Tracy: I just bought this little kit thing. I don't know what was in it. There was a little prong thing in there.

Me: Was there a little silver foil disk with wires sticking out of it?

Tracy: Yes.

Me: That's for threading the needle.

Tracy: Really?

Me: Yes.

Tracy: How?

Me: You stick the little wire through the eye of the needle, put the thread through the bigger hole made by the wires, and then pull it back through with the little silver disk. Voila! A threaded needle!

Tracy: Wow. Cool.

Me: And that "thing with prongs" is a stitch ripper.

Tracy: So that's what a stitch ripper is!

Good Lord. Did she never take Home Ec? I may not be any good at sewing but at least I know what starch is and how an iron works.

No comments: