Saturday, November 21, 2009

A sad state of affairs

Today Lincoln and I took the kids to get their pictures taken. The shirt that I had picked out for Hannah badly needed to be ironed on the collar and arms but I do not iron. Lincoln has - occasionally - ironed in the years that I've known him but neither one of us are really good at it. My friend Tracy irons everything. I mean everything. Even jeans. Every time we go away for a girls weekend or stay overnight in the city she always irons everything she's wearing. It cracks me up because it is completely habitual with her. As soon as we start getting ready to go out she breaks out the hotel iron and ironing board and starts ironing her clothes. When she's done she says "Do you need the iron?" before she puts it away and I always laugh because I never iron anything. On the rare occasion that I iron I either burn the item I'm ironing or I end up walking away with the garment looking as wrinkled as when I started.

When I chose the outfits for the kids to wear today I asked Tracy if she'd come over and help me out by ironing their clothes. I'm sure she laughed at first but quickly realized I was serious and headed over to help me out. When she arrived I dug out our rarely used ironing board and iron and set them up in our bedroom. I think it really hit home to her how rarely - if ever - we iron when Jake walked in the bedroom and asked "What's that thing?"

No comments: