Saturday, November 7, 2009

Who knew this was such a science....and does it even really make a difference?

For my birthday in August my friend Melissa got me some Leinenkugel beer glasses with laser etchings on the bottom. It was supposed to "do something to enhance the flavor of the beer" is what she told me. (She's rather specific, isn't she?)

Chili's is now advertising on their coasters the "Perfect Beer Glass" made by the Samuel Adams brewing company.

What makes it perfect you ask?
  1. Bead inside rim creates turbulence to release flavor and aromas as beer enters mouth.
  2. Narrow top retains the hop aroma and sustains the head.
  3. Rounded shape collects aromas.
  4. Thinner walls and rounded shape maintain proper beer temperature longer.
  5. Laser etchings on bottom creates bubbles for constant aroma release. (That's what she was trying to explain!!)
  6. Outward turned lip delivers beer to front of tongue where sweetness (malt) is tasted.

I don't know why but I am truly impressed that people actually research this shit and feel bad that I just take these things for granted. And to think of all those years I wasted drinking out of a plastic cup at a keg party in college.

No comments: