Monday, November 16, 2009

I just can't let it be, can I?

This weekend was great. I caught up on about 10 hours of TV that I missed in the past week. I had a sleepover with Hannah and my niece Kayla. I went to dinner with Lincoln and the kids. Basically it was just an incredibly relaxing weekend after a week that was incredibly insane. For once I didn't have a million deadlines hanging over my head. My next PTO project - the yearbook - isn't due until spring. I can do certain stuff in the book here and there but nothing major is due soon except the cover and that's a pretty easy task since the 4th graders design a bulk of it for me.

So how do I start my Monday off? Well, I hopped on the bike up in the gym with a copy of Glamour and an iPod loaded with music only to come across an article called "31 Days of Giving". There are some great ideas on the list and one of them was "Send a free holiday card to a soldier abroad." Seems simple enough, right? Of course my brain takes it to a whole different level and all of a sudden I'm figuring out in my head how I can make this a community wide effort and involve the kids at the elementary school. A few years ago I coordinated a group called Kid Volunteers and unfortunately, due to lack of interest from others and lack of time, it died out after our first few activities. All of a sudden, in my 30 seconds of free time between Family Fun Night and getting ready to start planning Thanksgiving, Jake's birthday, and Christmas I'm mentally signing myself up for another time consuming endeavor. Don't worry, I nipped it in the bud. I think. I'm talking myself out of it as we speak. Right?

I really need to learn how to shut my brain off.

No comments: