Sunday, November 8, 2009

Queen of Procrastination

I am chairing the Family Fun Night event at Hannah's school on Friday, November 13th. In addition to being in charge of the entire event I am also in charge of one of the rooms - the history of Communication - and guess what, I didn't start working on it until today. Oh yeah, I'm the queen of procrastination. For one, it's a boring topic. I thought it might be fun but it's really not. I'm doing sections on Morse Code, the U.S. Postal Service, Pony Express, text and instant messages, and the phone. Ugh.

I have participated in Family Fun Night two other times. The first year, which was the other year that I chaired the event, we had a theme of Exploring the Continents. I had Antarctica and we had snow cones, a penguin craft, and snowball fights with cotton balls and penguin beach balls. The second year, which had a Science theme, I did the Astronomy room and I, along with Lincoln and another mom, created a night sky in one of the class rooms. We turned off all the lights and hung black panels from the ceiling with white Christmas lights. We had orange lights through out the "night sky" which made up different constellations. As you went into the room you received a list of constellations you were supposed to find. The kids loved it. Out in the hallway we also had a scale and how to figure out how much you'd weigh on different planets and a craft where you could make your own star finder. We also had a "I wish I may, wish I might" form that kids could fill out and hang up showing all of their wishes. See, now those sound cool, right?

Communications....not so much.

Once I finish getting it all together I'll have to fill you in but right now it's a total work in progress. The important thing is I'm okay being the lamest room. Let the other rooms be the rock stars. I can handle it.

No comments: