Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Holiday shopping in the new millennium

How did people ever shop before the Internet? Today I was working on the kids shopping lists for Christmas. This is a rather detailed process that requires a lot of research, a 3-ring binder, and Excel spreadsheets. I'm trying to stay fairly true to my "no toys" pledge because our kids have way too many toys as it is. I'm trying to get them things they need and/or useful or educational things.

There are many wonderful things about the Internet when it comes to holiday shopping.
  1. No need to go to the mall.
  2. Comparison shopping is easy. I thought of something I wanted to get Hannah for Christmas and wasn't sure where I should shop for it. I typed it into Google and the first place I found it the item was $39.95. After a few more sites all of a sudden it's down to $30. I saved $10 and never even left the house!
  3. Online coupons. Even for the stores that we actual have to go to in order to pick up the items you can find coupons for almost anything online these days. I've got all my coupons lined up and ready to go on Black Friday.

Lincoln and I go out the day after Thanksgiving every year to do our holiday shopping. We don't get up crazy early and hit the really big sales but we like to time it after the rush and before the shelves are picked clean. We usually still get some pretty good deals. Some of the items that we're getting this year will actually be through Black Friday online specials.

I really feel for all the parents that came before me and had to do their actual shopping in stores. I don't know if I could do it.

No comments: